twitter
facebook
pinterest
rss
Email: info@justonjuice.com | Login | Messages

Juicing Forum

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Author Topic: First Time Juicer - starting 7 day on 9/27

Jolene
Juice Expert
Jolene
First Time Juicer - starting 7 day on 9/27
on: September 27, 2013, 15:03

I have never juiced before and I have been mentally preparing myself for this for 2 weeks. I have tried every fad diet under the sun and nothing changes. I am taking a different approach with juicing, I'm looking at this as a body detox and an energy booster. I hope weight loss will be an added benefit! I had my first juice this morning and am concerned about the taste, it is so green tasting...ick! I find myself holding my breath so I can swallow, although I do think it is a taste I will eventually adapt to. I enjoyed my hot water with lemon this morning. Having something warm to drink helped me get over that no coffee thing! I don't know if is the celery or the kale that is giving me the bitter taste, so I will have to experiment a bit. I know the first 3 days are going to be rough, so I plan on laying low this weekend and just watching Lifetime movies and drinking my juice. I have used this site for the last two weeks to prepare myself and to get tips for juicing. I would love to hear from new juicers and work together to get past any difficult hurdles! Peace!!

sputnick
Juice Professional
sputnick
Re: First Time Juicer - starting 7 day on 9/27
on: September 27, 2013, 15:27

Hey Jolene my name is Nick and I am also a newbie! Not as new as you though! Lol I am on day 3.. I am trying to do at least 14 days so we shall see..!

I know what you mean about the yucky taste.. I had one that was heavy celery and I just didn't like it much but I did make it again and did less celery and more spinach.. So I think give it a few tries and tweak the juices and it won't be so bad.

I am also on this to get helthy and if I lose weight that will be awsome! I haven't weighed myself since I started but I can tell things are starting to happen and its only day 3.

I look forward in sharing thoughts and new new juice receipes!! I have bought a butternut squash and I am thinking of what I can mix with it for a nice fall drink... I will keep you posted...

Ok keep me posted us newbies have to stick together!

Cheers and good luck !

Nick

JustOnJuice
Administrator
JustOnJuice
on: September 27, 2013, 16:42

Jolene, welcome to JOJ and congrats on deciding to do a juice fast. I like your approach to it. Look at it for the health benefits and think of the weight loss as a side affect.

I never had any issues with tastes but most people find them enjoyable either right away or after a few days. If that's not the case then you may consider changing up some of your juices. There's no sense in forcing something down like that. Make some changes and make it enjoyable for you. Take a look at the substitution list and get some ideas of what you can use: http://www.justonjuice.com/juicing-substitution-list/

Nick, congrats on day 3 already! I really enjoy butternut squash this time of year. Do some butternut squash, apple, carrot, ginger, sprinkle with some cinnamon! You'll love it! Go easy on the ginger though.

"Willpower is essential to the accomplishment of anything worthwhile." Keep this in mind while on your fast!

I was 212 lbs before I started juicing, today I am 185 lbs and feel better than I did 10 years ago!

How To Juice Fast | JustOnJuice Blog

Taresa
Juicer
Taresa
on: September 27, 2013, 17:19

Hi Nick and Jolene,

My name is Taresa and my husband and I started our 7 day fast today also. While I have juiced in the past, I have never done a fast. I am a a little nervous!

As for the taste I don't mind it. But, my hubby tends to cringe a bit when he drinks it. I found that using gala apples help add a touch more sweetness so he can drink it. Of course it also adds more sugar too. He really doesn't need to loose much weight so I think it's ok for him. I, on the other hand need to lose the equivalent of a small child :). But, I actually wanted to do this for general health and I am hoping weight loss will be an added benefit! I feel like I have been sick a lot lately and I need to reboot my body.

So lets raise our juice filled glasses! Here's to our health and determination! We can do this guys.

Jolene
Juice Expert
Jolene
on: September 27, 2013, 17:49

thanks for the replies! I'm having my mean green as I sit at my desk at work. I'm thinking I need to adjust the celery amount. When I'm at work, what ever I made in the morning is what I'm stuck with so It's going to take a couple days for me to figure out what I like. But in the mean time, I'm getting it down. It's a cold rainy day here, so that doesn't help my mood either...days like this I have been notorious for eating everything in sight! Is it normal to have little chunks of peel from the fruits and veggies in your juice? I'm not really liking that texture when I drink it.

sputnick
Juice Professional
sputnick
on: September 27, 2013, 17:57

Hey guys guess I am a veteran out of the bunch as I am half way through day 3 ! It does some taking use to I am still getting use to it... But getting the hang of things... Anyway no one said it would be easy.. In regards to the mean green drink I think it's the celery as I also made this drink and found the celery hard to get use to.. Just put less celery in next time.. For dinner tonight I will use my butternut squash with the apple and cinnamon it sounds good we shall see later on today when dinner time comes..

It is nice and sunny here in Ontario Canada today so that helps with the mood.. Hope the rain stops for you soon Jolene...

Ok guys lets push onward I am aiming for 14 days so let's see what happens!

Talk soon

Nick

Jolene
Juice Expert
Jolene
on: September 27, 2013, 18:32

Thanks Nick! It's hard to wrap my head around celery being the culprit because it is a vegetable that I love. Your dinner sounds good! I will be interested to hear how you liked it. I'm going to try a tomato juice tonight, can you add tobacco and pepper to the drink? I think that is something I will miss...spice!

sputnick
Juice Professional
sputnick
on: September 27, 2013, 18:58

I wouldn't add tobacco if I were you lol. No I don't think you can add tabasco! But why not add some fresh garlic or basil leaves I think you can add some ground pepper! Ok I am anxious to hear about your dinner also I will make mine later on its 3pm in the afternoon here... Ok keep me posted

Cheers!

Taresa
Juicer
Taresa
on: September 27, 2013, 19:55

So, are you guys juicing 3 times a day? I had the breakfast juice at around 8:30 and drank my mean green at noon. I was thinking of making one more around 3 and then dinner at 7:30-8. Jolene, I am excited to try the tomato juice! I love love love blood Mary's and lets face it, its the closest thing i am gonna get to one for awhile. Lol. I was wondering the same thing about the Tabasco. I think it's probably best to leave it out. I'm thinking of adding a touch of cayenne to give it a bit of a kick. I'll let you know how it turns out.

sputnick
Juice Professional
sputnick
on: September 27, 2013, 20:22

Hey Teresa Ipi am juicing about 4 a day I have had 2 so far today and will have one for dinner and the another on in the evening.. Let me know how the Bloody Mary turns out!

I will try my squash one soon!

Ok keep me posted

Cheers

Jolene
Juice Expert
Jolene
on: September 27, 2013, 20:37

I had my warm lemon water first thing in the morning, then a morning juice and a juice for lunch. I will make one when I get home and have another about 7:30 or 8 tonight. I may have some decaf tea also tonight, I have been cold all day so I'm hoping that will help. I'm going to miss the bloody mary also and I love tomato juice and v-8, so I'm hoping I will have better luck with the taste.

Taresa
Juicer
Taresa
on: September 27, 2013, 21:27

Jolene, I have been cold too! And I live in Southern California, it's 70 today...strange. I had to drink a cup of hot tea between juices. But, as I am typing this I am drinking the tomato juice and it is by far my favorite. I added a stalk of celery, (cause what's a mock Bloody Mary without celery!? ) a dash or 2 of cayenne and some cracked black pepper. It reminds me of gazpacho. I dig it, guys.

Nick, I am excited to hear how the butternut squash turns out. With it being fall I am already missing my pumpkin flavored coffee :(. Maybe that will help with the craving.

Also, I just watched the video that's posted of the woman who did the 7 day fast. She said she drinks coconut water...yum! Are you guys incorporating it into the fast? I don't remember reading that we could have that.

Stay thirsty my friends!

sputnick
Juice Professional
sputnick
on: September 27, 2013, 22:27

Hey guys I too am very cold and usually I am a hot guy lol !! Sorry had to say it...anyway I read up on its and its normal.. So I guess we are just cool people! Lol

Ok enough with the jokes I know..

Anyway I just got back from a nice long walk picked up a few things in grocery store man it is hard not to pick up a few bad things lol anyway I was also looking at coconut water but all the ones I saw had sugar in them so I am not sure what kind to buy... I know others do drink cocunut water during the day... So I am not sure..

Ok I am off to make my dinner lol I have the cinnamon and all! Hope this is good

Teresa what video are you talking about where is this? Also I am sure you guys have but have you watched Fat Sick and Nearly Dead? That was the movie that got me onto dong this... Ok I am hungry got to juice!!

I am glad your drink turned out great! What exactly did you put in it?

Chat soon!

Taresa
Juicer
Taresa
on: September 27, 2013, 22:47

Nick, keep the jokes comin! we're gonna need a sense of humor through this. This is the video. http://www.justonjuice.com/7-day-juice-fast-videos/. And yes, I also watched Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead. I watched it about a year ago and bought my juicer. I started juicing mean green as a meal supplement. However, I couldn't commit to completing the fast at the time. My Hubby was deployed in Afghanistan and I was alone with our 1 yr old son. I didn't thinking i had the willpower at the time. But, he's home now and surprisingly enough agreed to do it with me. So, yay! He just called and said the mean green was, "rough" lol, so he's right there with ya Jolene. He too thinks its the celery. So I think I'll do less and add more spinach for him.

For the tomato juice I used the bruschetta tang recipe:
2 Tomatoes
1-2 Garlic Cloves Peeled
1 Bunch of Basil (20 Leaves)
1/4 Lemon Peeled

I added an extra tomato as mine were small, a stalk of celery, a dash of cayenne and black pepper.

sputnick
Juice Professional
sputnick
on: September 27, 2013, 22:55

Sounds great!

I will try this tomorrow! Ok I just made my dinner butternut squash juice with 2 carrots and a apple with a sprinkle of cinnamon on top and it is amazing! I took a photo of it but I am not sure how to post photos on here... It's a nice change from the green drinks !! It is very tasty!

Ok going to finish my dinner and relax on the couch for a bit.. I will check out that video Taresa thanks for the link

Tomorrow is day 4 for me!! I wonder when I should weigh myself? Hmmm

Ok chat soon

Nick

Jolene
Juice Expert
Jolene
on: September 27, 2013, 23:33

Hi guys! I just finished my tomato drink and loved it! 3 roma tomatoes, 2 carrots, 1 celery, 1 garlic clove, a little onion and topped it off with a splash of Franks Red Hot and black pepper for a kick. I'm going to do the green again tomorrow and leave out the celery and see if that helps me. I actually made a meal for my honey and wasn't even tempted to lick the spoon...that's a good sign. I'm feeling better than I thought I would, little bit of headache but nothing I can't handle. I told my sister on my way home from work, I abused my body for 40 years, I think I can do something good for it for 7 days! I'm having a fruit juice in a little bit that will hopefully cut out any cravings I get laying around watching TV tonight. Also, I can fall back on my decaf tea if I need to. Today wasn't too bad, thanks for chatting with me, it sure helped! I live in North Dakota and I'm on central time if I don't respond right away it may be the time difference. I'm so glad to have your support and hope I can help and encourage you to keep on also!

sputnick
Juice Professional
sputnick
on: September 28, 2013, 00:12

Wow you both love your Bloody Mary drink!! I will for sure have to do this tomorrow! You guys will have to try the butternut squash drink with dash of cinnamon.

Yes I am glad I found a few juicers (friends) on here we will keep each other motivated! Maybe you guys will try and go for 14 days like I am trying?!

Anyway its fun creating new drinks I will for sure do my Bloody Mary tomorrow night.. I am feeling cold though.. As we talked about.. Ok guys I am watching some tv tonight

Chat soon guys!

Nick

Jolene
Juice Expert
Jolene
on: September 28, 2013, 14:22

well I survived day one and I feel pretty good today. I was pretty concerned when I started, my caffeine consumption used to be about 4 cups of coffee and 2-3 pops per day, I only needed to take some Tylenol at bedtime. I feel good this morning. I'm drinking my lemon water in anticipation of my morning juice! I hope you all are feeling good and don't hit a road block. Added bonus...I stepped on the scale just to see, it was down 4 pounds...I know it's a lot of water weight or what ever but it gave me the extra push to get through another day!

sputnick
Juice Professional
sputnick
on: September 28, 2013, 15:00

Morning guys! I have been busy this morning but was thinking of how my fellow juicers were doing! I have had my hot lemon with ginger also made a nice breakfast with veggies and fruit.. About 80 20 ratio.

I am feeling ok it's still a hard go! I am day 4 I a haven't weighed myself yet! I will soon though lol.

I don't know about you guys but my tounge is really white have you found this out also ?

I want to drink more water today and maybe buy some cocunut water.. I see to be peeing a lot lol

Ok wow way to go Jolene down 4 pounds! Congrats ! That will keep you going!

Another nice sunny day here today! Hope its good there

Cheers

Nick

Taresa
Juicer
Taresa
on: September 28, 2013, 15:07

Jolene, that is awesome! I am also down 3.5lbs. However, I had a really bad night :(. I have occasional stress migraines, well guess what happened last night. My tiny annoying headache turned into a full blown migraine right after dinner. Unfortunately, my dinner didn't stay down long :( and I had to take migraine meds which have caffeine in them. I tried to drink some warm tea, but I was so sick I just went to bed. I slept 11 hours (whoa!) and feel better this morning. I hope the medicine didn't mess up my detox too much and I don't get another migraine today. Here's to hoping! No matter what I am sticking to it. I'll just be miserable for a bit lol.

I can't wait to try the morning jolt! The morning juices are so yummy. I tried the beet juice last night. I think it's called sunset passion...yuck! That will not be on the menu again lol. It may be due to the kind of beets I used. The store had red beets, but they looked awful. So, i bought golden beets and they tasted like dirt. Hahaha, maybe that's what made me sick!

Nick, I set my goal for a 7 day cleanse, because that's what my husband agreed to do. But, if my willpower is up for it, I want to go as long as possible. I figured after 7 days I will be strong enough to prepare my son's and husband's meals without wanting to lick my fingers hahaha. I think on my next grocery trip I'll pick up some squash!

sputnick
Juice Professional
sputnick
on: September 28, 2013, 17:19

Hey Taresa sorry to hear you were not well last night... To be honest I also was very ill my first day I had a huge headache and took some Advil and was sick to my stomach!

I am better now but I will be honest I am on day 4 and I find this day is hard not so much being ill just miss eating food..

I don't even crave crap food I crave veggies and chicken or fish! I love to cook so the not cooking part is weird.

Anyway I am not thinking about 2 weeks I a just taking it day by day and see what happens I have just had my lunch I think later today I will weigh myself.

Maybe that will put a smile on my face..

Ok guys speak soon

Nick

Jolene
Juice Expert
Jolene
on: September 28, 2013, 17:53

Hi Taresa, I hope you are feeling better. Sorry you got so sick, yuck, that sure doesn't make this any easier. I tried the sunset passion for lunch today with red beets, not much better! I don't like beets to begin with so I wasn't surprised, but it does look really good. I'm thinking of using oranges in place of an apple, I like how the orange flavor really over powers the taste in the drinks I make.
Nick, I'm doing the 7 day and we'll see how I feel on day 8 if I continue. I have a big party I'm going to on Saturday that will have some really good food...so I'm already thinking about that! Rainy and crappy day here, that's okay I'm laying low today and tomorrow so I don't mind.

sputnick
Juice Professional
sputnick
on: September 28, 2013, 21:12

Hey guys just got back from another huge walk I stopped in on my walk to a health food store and picked up some coconut water. I haven't tried it yet as it was not that cold it's in the fridge now. I am hanging in there lol for dinner tonight I might finish up the squash with apple and carrot I might this time warm it up and eat it like a soup for a change.. I think tomorrow I will weigh myself.. Tomorrow will be day 5! Lol

I am not sure about going14 days either I might after 7 or so days slowly eat one meal a day with juice for breakfast and lunch... We shall see... It's been kinda tough today not sure why.. Anyway hope you guys are dong well!

Speak soon

Nick

Kurokujira-
Kurokujikiri
Juicer
Kurokujira Kurokujikiri
on: September 28, 2013, 21:32

Quote from sputnick on September 28, 2013, 15:00
I don't know about you guys but my tounge is really white have you found this out also ?

Nick: It can be easy to get Candidiasis (oral thrush infection) as well as tooth decay, when on a juice diet, because of all the natural fruit sugars in the juice. I make sure to use the sonic toothbrush and the sonic airfloss on my teeth at least 3 times per day, and to gargle with antiseptic mouthwash often, preferably after every juice.

On the other hand, all the Vitamin C and other anti-oxidants in the juice are really good for our mouths, teeth and gums, so try swirling the juice around the mouth for an extended time (like you are doing wine tasting) - I've heard it compared to skincare for your mouth! Just make sure to brush, floss and rinse it all away afterwards to get rid of any excess sugars!

Well done to all of you for juicing to improve your health!

Taresa
Juicer
Taresa
on: September 28, 2013, 22:12

Hi guys! Feeling much better today. A little sleepy, but not sick. Yay! I think my hubby is bailing out on me. But, that's ok. I feel strong enough to do it on my own. I think it was the initial fear of not eating solid food and that's not bothering me anymore. I am buggin out about the fact I haven't eaten solids in almost 2 days and I don't feel hungry. Craaaazy!

Nick, stay strong buddy! I know when you get on the scale tomorrow you'll get a boost of excitement! I think a 7 day is a huge accomplishment. I almost deleted my profile and disappeared into the night yesterday lol. And that was my first day. But, you guys are keeping me motivated, thanks!

So, Nick what kind of coconut water did you buy?

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Tags: , , , ,