twitter
facebook
pinterest
rss
Email: info@justonjuice.com | Login | Messages

Juicing Forum

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: 1
Author Topic: Starting my first fast - goal of 7 days - August 15th

Maggie
Juicer
Starting my first fast - goal of 7 days - August 15th
on: August 14, 2013, 01:58

Hello all! I am new to this site and new to juicing. My office is starting a Health Challenge and, having tried EVERY OTHER WEIGHT LOSS program ever conceived (aside from surgery), I decided to research juicing and give it a try as my form of participating. I have chosen to set a "length of fast" goal, rather than an "amount of weight" for 2 reasons, one being the fact that I am only interested in weight loss in terms of improving my health, rather than appearance, and two because my long term goal is to lose about 150 lbs. and this fast is a trial in determining whether or not juicing is the way to do it for me.

I will be going shopping and prepping tomorrow evening and I am getting excited and nervous!

Wish me luck!!!

JustOnJuice
Administrator
JustOnJuice
Re: Starting my first fast - goal of 7 days - August 15th
on: August 14, 2013, 16:23

Maggie, congrats on deciding to do a juice fast! Don't be nervous, be very excited about what you will be doing for your health, your weight, and for you! It's going to be really amazing and you'll start to notice it very soon. Keep me posted on your status. I'm here if you have any questions.

"Willpower is essential to the accomplishment of anything worthwhile." Keep this in mind while on your fast!

I was 212 lbs before I started juicing, today I am 185 lbs and feel better than I did 10 years ago!

How To Juice Fast | JustOnJuice Blog

Maggie
Juicer
on: August 14, 2013, 18:59

Thank you Donnie - I am a little disappointed to learn today that the Health Challenge at the office has been put off until 8/29....however, this will give me more time to prepare, which I think will increase my success. I want to make plans for eating around/with my family and do a little additional research on juicers (i have a Jack Lallane that I have borrowed from a friend, but am looking at a comparably priced Beville and your Hamilton Beach as well!) I also plan to use the time to try out some additional recipes so that I can modify the shopping list as needed based on what I like the best, although I have LOVED every juice we have tried so far (especially Mean Green!) - I know myself and variety will be key!! Even though the wind left my sails a bit this morning when I heard they program would be delayed, I am actually pleased to have the time to "ramp up" and prepare myself by eating more raw foods a for a couple of days before I start to fast. I have not been this excited about a life-style change since I learned I was having my first child!!! :)

JustOnJuice
Administrator
JustOnJuice
on: August 14, 2013, 21:41

Start as soon as you feel ready to start Maggie. Don't get put off by the date. You can start earlier if you want. The sooner you start the better off you'll be. It will be good to take some time and prepare yourself too. I would suggest you start with a few juices per day and also start eating plenty of fresh fruits and raw veggies. This will help your body adjust to the juice when it's time to go just on juice. I'm glad you're excited, I'm excited too! I love watching people before their fast and seeing them succeed throughout it. It's really encouraging! Keep us all posted Maggie and remember that I'm here if you have any questions.

"Willpower is essential to the accomplishment of anything worthwhile." Keep this in mind while on your fast!

I was 212 lbs before I started juicing, today I am 185 lbs and feel better than I did 10 years ago!

Maggie
Juicer
on: August 23, 2013, 00:02

Ok - had a doctor visit today for annual physical and told her my plans for the upcoming juice fast. She was not as excited as I am. She is "inherently against juicing" because it "removes all the bulk and fiber from food and just leaves the sugar"......AND NUTRIENTS I wanted to yell! :) She did concede that if this was an attempt to "reset" my taste for less processed food and "kick start" a healthier diet that she thought the was a pretty good idea. At any rate I am getting excited again about starting next week and am preparing to shop and pre-wash/sort my juices. I have found that I am not as fond of the "savory" juices as I expected to be. I still like Mean Green best and am surprised that I don't seem to "get bored" with it - of course I am sure that over the course of 7 days I will be glad to have other options!! I am going to surf the site now for other progress and get myself more pumped to to get going!

JustOnJuice
Administrator
JustOnJuice
on: August 23, 2013, 02:17

Wow, she's pretty set in her ways it seems, and very unfamiliar with juicing. Keep your excitement Maggie and don't let any thing hold you back from success. I wouldn't worry about getting bored with a juice. Remember that you are juicing for your health and not the enjoyment and tastes of the juices. That doesn't mean you have to settle for undesired types of juices but keep the main reason you are doing this in mind.

I drank mean green twice every day for 15 days in a row on my first juice fast. It was my go to juice for lunches. Try out different juice and you'll figure out which ones work best for you. Having a good variety and being able to experiment will always keep it interesting.

Maggie
Juicer
on: August 29, 2013, 14:55

Well the day has arrived and I am so excited! Last night my Sweetie and I went shopping for my produce and took some VERY MOTIVATING "Before" pictures! :( What a reality check! I did some prepping last night but learned quickly this morning that I will do more of this in the evenings going forward to make mornings go a bit faster! I have been replacing at least one meal a day with juice for the last few days and I really feel ready! I enjoyed a cup of water with lemon, my Morning Glory juice and then did an "official" weigh in and took measurements. I AM SO EXCITED! I do not remember ever being this excited about a weigh loss plan - and I have tried them ALL! I think it is because the weight loss is really just a fortunate byproduct of getting healthier and lengthening my life! August 29th, 2013 - what a great day!!!!!!

JustOnJuice
Administrator
JustOnJuice
on: August 29, 2013, 16:17

Before pics are always great to have! It's very motivating to look back and see before and after pics. Here's a before and after pic from my fast. You're going to do wonderful on your fast! Keep me posted and let me know if you have any questions.

JustOnJuice
Administrator
JustOnJuice
on: August 29, 2013, 16:19

Nicholas was a little overly excited to start his first day of kindergarten a few weeks ago.

lisall
Juicer
on: August 29, 2013, 16:24

Wow, that is impressive before and after pics! And adorable kids! Ehehehe love those big smiles 😀

WOO Maggie!!! Sounds like you are so motivated!

JustOnJuice
Administrator
JustOnJuice
on: August 29, 2013, 18:57

Thank you Lisa! They can be handful but we have fun in everything we do together. At least I can keep up with them now!

Maggie
Juicer
on: August 30, 2013, 03:18

Oh Donnie - those are powerful before and after shots! Thank you for sharing those - I look forward to sharing mine soon as well!

Whew! Made it through day one! I feel great! I did have some serious battles with hunger, but the juice saved me. The dinner that my family had smelled very good - and I can't lie - I wanted a bite - BUT....I....DID....NOT......HAVE.......ONE! I know it sounds crazy, but I already feel as though I have lost some weight - I just feel lighter! Of course that may have something to do with the fact that I seem to have peed 1,000 times today!
Looking forward to tomorrow - I understand it is one of the tougher days - I am ready to face it and get it behind me! Come on Friday, bring whatcha got - this girls ready for ya!

Maggie
Juicer
on: August 30, 2013, 15:05

Ok so here's the thing.....it isn't just the hunger. I am clearly addicted to EATING. I am very frustrated with the almost overwhelming urge to chew something. To use a fork and put something in my mouth. Very irritating and very eye-opening as well......

Also - I expected to be a real "B" today - but instead - I am very emotional and weepy - interesting.

Maggie
Juicer
on: August 31, 2013, 17:04

Made it through Day two and am well in to Day 3 - and I feel great! I keep waiting to feel awful and have a headache but I haven't. Last night was the hardest - went to a high school football game and did not get to get an entire juice in before we went - stadium nachos really and truly nearly did me in - I was very, very close to breaking - but my Sweetie encouraged me and I made it through half time when we left. But then we went to my FAVORITE taco joint to meet friends! To my surprise and delight it wasn't bad at all - although I did threaten to lick the grilled shrimp on his salad! :-) Good friends and good conversation have always have always come with good food for me. Always. It was really great to realize that the friends and conversation were just as satisfying! Making changes - and it feels great!

Maggie
Juicer
on: September 1, 2013, 17:41

Here I am on Day 4 - feeling pretty good I guess - we went for a little walk this morning and it was already hot - think I have a very little headache from that. My biggest problem.....I am basically sick of juice. I found myself having to force down a fourth juice yesterday, not really to curb my hunger, but to make sure I was getting enough nutrients. I am hungry - but I feel like I would rather be hungry than drink juice. Last night I did make a soup recipe from the site to help me get that last "juice" down. That helped - I added Franks Red hot Sauce - couldn't help it - needed the kick - and it is pretty much cayenne and vinegar. It really helped that I it was warm and I ate it from a bowl with a spoon - the psychology if it was amazing. we are about to go run a few errands - I am not sure it is the best idea - not feeling very strong - but will take juice and lots of water and try to detract myself.

JustOnJuice
Administrator
JustOnJuice
on: September 3, 2013, 15:51

Maggie, I've been out a lot due to the Labor Day weekend. Thanks for your comments. I'm looking forward to seeing your before and after shots too! They can be real inspiring when you look back on them in the future.

Only have a juice when you get hungry. It will make things easier and won't make you feel like you have to force them down. Try changing up a few recipes and see what other things are out there. Soups are great and like you said, the psychology of it is really amazing.

Just make sure you are listening to your body and having a juice when you get hungry. If you starve your body, it will tend to hold onto weight as opposed to letting it go. You're doing really well Maggie. Keep me posted on your status and remember that I'm here if you have any questions.

Maggie
Juicer
on: September 3, 2013, 20:23

Thanks for the support Donnie! I must confess that I did cave in in the afternoon of Day 4 and have a salad. I did the same on Day 5. Everything else has been juice, and when I get back in to work this morning and weighed on the scale I started on, I have lost 8 lbs!

I was disappointed that I ate a little - but here is the thing - I was at the point where I would rather be hunger than drink a juice, has that ever happened to you? It was like - give the option of feeling the hunger, or drinking another juice - I will take the hunger.....and a nap (which I could do, given the holiday weekend) and I began to worry that I was going to slow my metabolism down by consuming nothing.

It is Day 6 - only one and 1/2 days left (if I don't demand to restart the clock from my last salad!) and I really feel great. I have not really had any headaches, I have not felt awful, I have had plenty of energy - even more than usual I would say. I can't lie - I nearly fainted when we walked past a hot dog cart at Lowes this weekend! But it is getting easier and easier to react with "but what is really in that thing?" and "whew - let me get something to drink instead" than it was before. It all just feels like positive progress.

I also walked today at lunch. I honestly have not felt hungry all day and plan on taking my "snack" juice along for the ride home instead of drinking it here at work. HUGE change for me - can't ever remember being this "un-hungry"

Becky6158
Juice Expert
Becky6158
on: September 4, 2013, 14:42

Maggie, thank you for sharing your first juice fast journey with us! Congratulations on all the weight loss! I am about to start my first juice fast on the 5th or 6th. I noticed you mention a lot about being sick of drinking juice and needing to force it down. I was wondering, did you drink different juices or did you stick to a couple of the same ones? Just want to learn from others, so I can be successful in my first fast. Thanks a bunch ~ Becky

Maggie
Juicer
on: September 4, 2013, 18:48

Hi Becky - I am glad you found this site! It is so helpful! I have been drinking a variety of juices, so I don't think it has been a matter of not enough variety - I think it would have been better to state it as "I was sick of drinking my meals" :) That said - I cannot deny - I feel GREAT! I want to continue collecting recipes for even more juices. I think I need to add some more savory ones that can double as soups I think. I really think my real struggle has been with breaking the "habit" of eating. It is so strange - I can't say this has been "easy" - but it hasn't really been hard and the juice is fantastic. Today it the last day of my initial "fast" - but I am hooked on juicing and cannot imagine going forward "eating" 3 meals a day. I am down 9 lbs now - no time to stop now!

Brian S
Juicer
on: September 4, 2013, 22:10

congrats on the weight loss, Maggie!

Maggie
Juicer
on: September 5, 2013, 15:29

Thanks Brian!

Maggie
Juicer
on: September 5, 2013, 20:01

FINAL RESULTS OF MY FIRST ATTEMPT!
Down 10 lbs
-1.25" in waist
-1.25" in hips
-1.5" in thigh
-1.5" in arm

I am very happy with these results and I am not stopping here!

KiwiCC
Juicer
on: September 6, 2013, 17:02

Maggie, Thats WONDERFUL! 😀 I think it's a very encouraging thing to do weekly re evaluations.. I believe I will do the same. I'm only on day 3 so I have a ways to go.. but i'm excited about this journey of juice! haha.

JustOnJuice
Administrator
JustOnJuice
on: September 6, 2013, 23:55

Maggie, those are really great results! Congratulations! Keep on juicing and you'll have even better results!

Kiwi, congrats on day 3! You are doing terrific!

Pages: 1

Tags: , , , ,