twitter
facebook
pinterest
rss
Email: info@justonjuice.com | Login | Messages

Juicing Forum

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: 1
Author Topic: Glyceminc Index Fruits and Vegetables

jenners
Juicer
jenners
Glyceminc Index Fruits and Vegetables
on: January 31, 2014, 19:25

I am on my 9th day of my first juicing, I have been struggling with my mood lately while juicing (irritability and anxiety) . I noted it to a few key components..1. I don't think I was drinking enough juice I was drinking 1 -2 12oz glasses a day due to the amount of calories that were in one glass of juice..upon reading further I saw that people had been drinking more and still been loosing weight. The second thing that I was curious about was sugar crashes..I have been staying away from fruits due to the sugar content and when I have had them I seem to be ok and then I kind of have a crash. I am not a diabetic but have struggled with low blood sugars when I don't eat. I have decided to start using fruits and vegetables on the low side of glycemic index to avoid the sugar spikes from the juice. I figured this would be helpful for people like me who do have blood sugar issues

The glycemic index is a helpful tool that allows you to see how the fruits, vegetables and other carbohydrates you eat affect your blood sugar levels. University of Toronto nutrition professor David Jenkins originally devised the index to help diabetics make intelligent food choices. However, since its introduction in the early 1980s, the index has spread into much broader use and today also helps nondiabetics to select healthier foods and even lose weight.

The glycemic index rates all foods containing significant levels of carbohydrates on a scale of 0 to 100. Foods with higher ratings -- 70 to 100 -- cause a sharp spike in your blood sugar levels, which triggers your pancreas to release large amounts of insulin to facilitate the transport of sugar into your cells to be used as energy. High levels of insulin circulating through your blood make it difficult for your body to burn stored fat, according to registered dietitian LeeAnn Weintraub Smith, author of “The Everything Glycemic Index Cookbook.” Other health problems associated with consistently elevated blood insulin levels include sugar cravings, increased appetite, high blood triglycerides, hypertension, diabetes and heart disease. Foods with a glycemic index rating of 50 to 70 are considered medium-GI foods and should be eaten in moderation. Foods with a rating of 50 or less are low on the glycemic index and can be eaten relatively freely.

Low-GI Fruits and Vegetables

Vegetables with low GI ratings include broccoli, cabbage, lettuce, mushrooms, onions and red peppers, which all have a GI rating of 10. Green peas and carrots are also relatively low, with ratings of 48 and 49, respectively. Low-GI fruits with a rating between 20 and 30 include cherries at 22, grapefruit with 25, prunes at 29 and dried apricots with 30. Higher up on the low-GI scale with ratings that range from 31 to 50 are apples, canned peaches and fresh pears, all with a rating of 38, plums at 39, strawberries with 40, navel oranges and fresh peaches at 42, canned pears with a 43 GI rating and grapes at 46. Considered vegetables by many, beans and peas with low-GI ratings include dried chickpeas and dried kidney beans with ratings of 28, lentils at 29, and frozen lima beans and yellow split peas, both with a rating of 32. Somewhat higher rated, though still in the low-GI category are canned black-eyed peas and canned chickpeas, both with a rating of 42, and baked beans, which come in at 48.
Medium-GI Selections

Vegetables with a GI rating between 50 and 70 include fresh corn at 60, and beets at 64. Medium-GI fruits with a rating between 50 and 60 include mangoes at 51, bananas with a 52 rating, papayas and raisins at 56, fresh apricots with 57 and kiwis at 58. Fruits at the higher end of the medium category with ratings between 60 and 70 are dried figs at 61, canned apricots with 64, cantaloupes at 65 and fresh pineapples with 66. The only bean or pea with a medium-GI rating is canned kidney beans at 52.
High-GI Choices

Fortunately for fruit and vegetable lovers, relatively few foods in these categories show up with high-GI ratings. High-GI vegetables include pumpkins, which are a type of squash, with a rating of 75, and parsnips, which have a GI of 97. Fruits in the high-GI group are watermelons, 72, and dates, 103. No beans or peas have a high-GI rating.
Copied from http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/glycemic-index-table-fruits-vegetables-1550.html

Some Veggies
Low Glycemic Index Vegetables (under 20)

• asparagus
• bean sprouts
• beet greens
• broccoli
• cabbage
• cauliflower
• celery
• cucumber
• endive lettuce
• mustard greens
• radishes
• spinach
• swiss chard
• watercress

Medium Glycemic Index Vegetables (20-60)

• aubergine
• beets
• brussles sprouts
• chives
• collards
• dandelion leaves
• greens
• kale
• kohlrabi
• leeks
• okra
• onions
• parsley
• peas
• peppers
• pimento
• pumpkin
• rutabagas
• string beans
• turnips

High Glycemic Index Vegetables (over 60)

• artichokes
• carrot
• corn
• dried beans
• lima beans
• oyster plant
• parsnips
• potato
• squash
• sweet potato
• yams

Some articles I thought were helpful