twitter
facebook
pinterest
rss
Email: info@justonjuice.com | Login | Messages

Juicing Forum

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: 1
Author Topic: Starting Aug 25th (for weight loss)

lisall
Juicer
Starting Aug 25th (for weight loss)
on: August 25, 2013, 23:32

Planning on trying out this juicing thing for a week and then go from there.
Hoping that I'll make it to at least 2 or more weeks.
I'm fat and tired of it. We're going to be trying for a 2nd child soon and my excess weight is a problem for my fertility. Total, I need to lose about 70-80 pounds to get to a normal healthy weight. That is my ultimate goal, but for now, I'll just be happy to go back to pre-pregnancy weight.
I gained 20+ pounds after having my first a year ago and have not been able to get it off no matter what I do. It is stuck to my butt, stomach, and double chin and will not budge. 😕

One of my husband's friends did a juicing fast a few years ago. Not sure for how long but he lost over 100+ pounds doing it and manages to keep it off by juicing every once in a while and eating healthier than he used to.
So I know this can work, it's just going to be difficult since I'm still cooking for my husband and baby and I loooooooove food and cooking (minus the cleanup) so much.

I'm determined though! I want to be one of those success stories people are inspired by.

Anywho, would love some company from others looking to lose a good bit of weight :)

lisall
Juicer
Re: Starting Aug 25th (for weight loss)
on: August 25, 2013, 23:51

Oh, I drank my first juice for dinner.
I made the Green Machine recipe minus the spinach (b/c I forgot to buy some.. doh) and ginger.
It was.... interesting. It's not bad, but it's definitely a flavor I'll have to get used to. I will say that it was pretty neat tasting all of the different things that went in to it. One moment I'm tasting the apples, the next I'm tasting the celery and kale. It's pretty cool, but then again I'm easily amused :)

I forgot to mention, I also have a few medical issues. Underactive Thyroid (hypothyroidism), PCOS, and insulin resistance. Basically everything that makes weight loss REALLY difficult. Joy! 😕

lisall
Juicer
on: August 26, 2013, 12:40

Okedoke, so I weighed myself this morning. Starting weight is 215.8 Yikes.
I know you shouldn't just go by the scale, but it will be nice to see that number drop.

I did have a slip up this morning! Just a habit thing that I didn't catch until after I had did it. It wasn't a big deal but it's something I'll have to remember not to do again.
Was feeding my daughter some yogurt. And I was in the habit of eating whatever yogurt was left on the spoon. It was only a coating of it thankfully and not a big spoonful lol, but it's just something I need to be aware of next time.

Made a modified Morning Glory juice this morning. No grapes and no ginger. I added a tomato to make up for the grapes.
Pretty darn tasty! It's pretty tart b/c I didn't buy anything other than granny smith apples, but it's still really good and it made A LOT. I saved some for a little later if I need it. I'll drink it before lunch.

Oh another problem. I can not stomach the warm lemon water in the morning. BLARGH! It's disgusting and I can't help but associate it with used dish water.

The Hamilton Beach juicer seems to be working fairly well. It does have a problem of spitting out large chunks of the food. Going to have to get used to running the pulp one more time to make sure I'm getting as much of the juice out as possible. It didn't do so well with the blueberries this morning. LOTS of juice wasted and running down the pulp container.

JustOnJuice
Administrator
JustOnJuice
on: August 26, 2013, 15:53

Lisall, welcome to JOJ and congrats on starting your juice fast! It's going to be an exciting adventure with tremendous benefits for you and your health!

I'm with you on that, I found it so interesting how the juices tasted and how you could pick up different tastes. Some combinations are really good and some you just have to mask with other ingredients.

Great call on switching out the grapes with tomatoes, I'll have to try that out as I love tomatoes.

As far as the lemon water, it's super helpful but you don't have to make it a huge glass, just a enough for a big swig or two will work. You can also just drink warm water plain followed up with a shot of lemon juice if you like. Or do a shot of lemon juice and then drink your water. It's good to start your system off with warm water because warm water is easily processed by your body whereas cold water isn't. The lemon has so many benefits and will aid in your morning digestion.

Sometimes centrifugal juices will do that. But it's perfectly fine to run the pulp through again if you want to. Blueberries are a softer fruit and centrifugal juicers aren't the best at extracting all the juice from them. You can try putting them in when the juicer is off and then hold them down with the pusher and turn it on. I've found this will usually give me more yield on my softer fruits.

Lisall, I wish you the best of luck with your juice fast. I'm always here if you have any questions.

"Willpower is essential to the accomplishment of anything worthwhile." Keep this in mind while on your fast!

I was 212 lbs before I started juicing, today I am 185 lbs and feel better than I did 10 years ago!

How To Juice Fast | JustOnJuice Blog

lisall
Juicer
on: August 26, 2013, 17:19

Thanks so much for the welcome :)
I'll try a lemon shot w/ warm water after or vice versa. Together though... bleh hehe.

Thanks for the tip on the blueberries (and other things similar). Going to try that next time and see if it helps :)

Made a tomato juice for lunch.
2 tomatoes, 2 stalks of celery, parsley, 2 small carrots, splash of hot sauce. Delicious but didn't yield as much juice as I was hoping for. Will try the above technique on tomatoes to see if it helps to get more out of them.

Started getting a headache not too long ago. Started off dull and would come and go, but it slowly got worse so took some Tylenol for it.
Can already feel that these next few days are going to be tough! lol

JustOnJuice
Administrator
JustOnJuice
on: August 26, 2013, 18:52

The headaches are a good sign actually. That means you are going through detox. On my first juice fast I got a headache on day 3. It was a dull headache and I took an Ibuprofen and it went away and didn't come back. The next few days will pass easily Lisall. Just keep doing what you're doing!

"Willpower is essential to the accomplishment of anything worthwhile." Keep this in mind while on your fast!

I was 212 lbs before I started juicing, today I am 185 lbs and feel better than I did 10 years ago!

lisall
Juicer
on: August 26, 2013, 22:42

I hope they go easy.
I'm already wanting food. It's not an all consuming craving, but it's there. Not even hungry either, it's just the want for something savory mostly. Doesn't help that I fixed some slow cooker chicken for the hubs that has made the house smell AMAZING. Sigh....
Oh well, just one of those things I'll have to overcome while doing this.

lisall
Juicer
on: August 26, 2013, 23:02

Is bloating normal at first? I've read that diarrhea is pretty normal, but I haven't had that, seems to be the opposite for me ATM. My body is not wanting to let go of anything. I went this morning which was normal time for me and that was it. Nothing since.

Also think I may have overdone it on the hot sauce. Think my splash of it was a bit too large heh. Oops. Hopefully that salt won't have a negative effect.

Had the Sunset Passion juice for dinner tonight and I really liked it. Just the right amount of sweetness to it and my first time having anything to do with beets 😀

lisall
Juicer
on: August 27, 2013, 12:01

Day 1 is done and gone. WOO! 😀
Started to feel that dull headache coming back before bed. Woke up with it this morning so went ahead and took some Tylenol for it.

I also weighed myself this morning. I know weighing every day isn't good, but it's a bit of an obsession.
I was down to 213.6. So slightly over a 2lb loss. Yay :) I would've been happy with anything hehe.

Morning juice is Jolt Juice minus the orange and + grapes. Went back to the store yesterday to pick up what we had forgotten. Figured I could just substitute the grapes or tomatoes again for whatever.
I think this morning's juice is the best one yet. You can really taste the grapes and it's just SO yummy. I'm sure with an orange it would be even better. :) Will have to try that next week perhaps.

Husband is being really supportive which helps a lot. He's thinking about including some juicing but not a fast. I'm sure we'll be buying stuff for him next week :)

Anyway, so far so good this morning. I usually don't eat breakfast anyway so no food craving YET. It's going to come though probably during lunch time.

lisall
Juicer
on: August 27, 2013, 15:55

WOO, this Mean Green juice is Tang-AY! lol It's not bad, but it's going to take some getting used to. It's the first one I put ginger in and... not bad.

So I know juice fasting is good for health and I'm hoping that's the case when it comes to my fertility and the other problems I have, but I'd be lying if I said that was the main reason. Well fertility is one of the main reasons for me starting, but I really want the weight loss... REALLY REALLY want it lol.

JustOnJuice
Administrator
JustOnJuice
on: August 27, 2013, 16:17

Lisall, bloating is normal but it will subside as you go through the cleanse.

Headaches can be big obstacle but just keep taking the Tylenol as you need it.

It's great that you have support. It always helps to keep us focused and on track when we do a juice fast. The more support you have, the better!

The weight will come off and it usually does pretty fast during the first week. Just keep doing what you've been doing and you'll see it fly off Lisall!

zoey
Juicer
on: August 27, 2013, 17:28

Is it too late to join? I need to do a 3 day (started today) but no one seems to be starting today so can i join up here? My brother sent me here. He has lost over 40 lbs. His dr. put him on this. I want to do this too. I have a lot of questions. I lost 15 lbs but have 15 more to lose and am stuck. If I can, I would like to join this group. Thanks, zoey

lisall
Juicer
on: August 27, 2013, 19:51

Of course you can join Zoey! 😀
Congrats on the 15lbs you've lost already. That's pretty darn impressive 😀
I'm new to juicing myself but JoJ up there is a really fantastic admin and knows his stuff *nodnod* I'm sure he'll be able to answer whatever questions you have.

Still feeling ok today. Took a nap, but really didn't need to. Food cravings, slight ones earlier b/c everyone and their mother wants to post food facebook posts lol, but nothing major.
Need to fix myself another juice, but I don't want to wake the baby! Dilemma!

lisall
Juicer
on: August 27, 2013, 22:42

Trying the beet juice recipe again. This time with spinach rather than kale. Eh... you can def tell the beet is a root b/c I am getting lots of undertones of dirt. BLEH. lol Oh well, live and learn. Going to have to choke this one down.

Also fixed a tomato juice earlier. 4 small tomatoes, 2 celery, 1 carrot. Added parsley and wanted to see what cilantro would bring.
Meh...it was ok. Still tastes like it's missing something though.

Day 2 is almost done and it wasn't so bad. Thankfully the headache hasn't returned and I'm still feeling ok.
I am craving a steak something fierce, but overall I'm feeling good :)

lisall
Juicer
on: August 28, 2013, 12:45

No headache this morning!! WOO!
So happy about that.
I am feeling a little off though. It could just be b/c my baby is waking me a bit earlier than usual though.

I weighed myself this morning and I am now 211 on the dot. WOOHOO! That's a 2.6lb loss from yesterday. YAY! *happy dance*
Was kind of afraid what the scale would say. I weighed myself before bed b/c I was curious and it read 214. EEP.

Made myself the yummy juice I had yesterday morning. It's still so good!
But looking at what I have left, I'm going to have to head to the store tomorrow morning to pick up some more things. Only have 3 apples left and 3 cucumbers. Def not enough to last for the rest of the week. Will also look through the recipes here to see if there's something else I'd like to try.

I chewed some sugar free gum last night after my dinner shake. I just needed to chew on something and I've read that it was ok to chew gum on a juice fast. It really helped to calm the craving for food. Thankfully we have a large supply of gum in the house so I can pop one in if I need to.

GAH, my birthday (turning 34) will be in less than a month. GEEZE. Where the heck has this year gone?
Anyway, I would really like to be down to pre-pregnancy weight by then. It was only 195 so that's 16 more pounds I would need to lose in a month. I think that's doable? Would be nice to be smaller than that, but I won't get ahead of myself 😀
Now I'm not sure I'll be juice fasting up until then. I've been thinking about a modified juice diet that I could do for a longer period of time.
Nothing but juice one day, then juice for breakfast and lunch and have a healthy dinner the next. That way I could still go out on Fridays with family for dinner. I sure don't plan to this friday though. Having to sit around while they all eat and look at me like I'm crazy w/ my juice in hand LOL.
I know doing something like that though would slow down the weight loss. *shrugs* We'll see what happens.

lisall
Juicer
on: August 28, 2013, 22:30

Today started off so well. Then I took a nap while my daughter took one and that's when hell broke through.
In just the 5 short minutes that I was asleep, I had a commercial grade fried chicken dream. You know what I'm talking about. The commercials where they're slowly panning over fried chicken, and then slowly pulling back the meat to reveal how juicy and delicious it looks.
Yeah, that was my dream.
DAMN YOU BRAIN! *shakes fist*
I woke up CRAVING food like crazy.
It took every ounce of me not to eat something.

I'm finally feeling ok now though. The craving is still there but in the background instead of screaming in my face.

Right now, I think the plan is to go out on Friday and eat dinner. Still haven't decided yet and we'll see how I'm feeling on Friday.
I think starting Sunday, I'm going to try nothing but juice one day and then juicing during the day and having a healthy meal at night.
We were cheating primal eaters before.

What this short experience has shown me though is that... screw cheating. Yes, breads and pastas and such are delicious, but what would I rather have... food for a few minutes or years with my family and friends at a healthy weight?
So yeah, once I do start eating again, whenever that may be, it will be clean Primal eating. No more processed crap!

JustOnJuice
Administrator
JustOnJuice
on: August 29, 2013, 16:25

Take a nap when you can get them! I remember how it was with a baby in the house. Wow, I've never had a fried chicken dream but just how you describe it can make me taste it now.

Cravings can be tricky and you're doing a great job of keeping them under control.

You are exactly right, what's more important? A few minutes of giving into a craving or years of wonderful and exciting moments with your loved ones.

lisall
Juicer
on: August 29, 2013, 16:39

Yeah, the cravings were the one thing that I really wasn't looking forward to when starting this. My willpower isn't exactly great, hence my weight, but I managed through it just like I will future cravings :)

So day 4 today! WOO!
This morning's weigh in just proved that you really shouldn't weigh every day... even though I'm still going to 😛
It was only 210.6
BOOOOOOO lol

A little over 5lbs in 4 days is impressive. Not pooing on that at all, but I just got spoiled seeing the 2lb drops every morning. SIGH!
Oh well.
At least it wasn't like the dream I had. Dreamt that I got on the scale and it read 232! Yeesh...

I think maybe I didn't drink enough water last night. First half of the day I was chugging it down like no ones business (and going to the bathroom every 10mins). Last half, not so much. Just kept getting distracted and didn't drink nearly enough. Will make sure that's not the case again tonight.

Feeling kind of meh today. Started off well, but started getting that dull headache again along with dizziness and just felt worn out.
Feeling better now that I've taken tylenol, but still feel kinda.. meh.

Made myself another tomato juice for lunch. Bought those really dark brown tomatoes from Walmart yesterday. Remembered my MiL saying how good they were so I wanted to try them out.
2 of those, handful of cherry tomatoes, 1 large carrot, 1 cucumber, 2 celery stalks, 2 handfuls spinach, 1 small bunch of parsley, 1/4 lemon peeled= just the tomato juice I've been wanting! 😀
SUPER tomato-y and delicious! I think I'll make it again and turn it in to a soup. Yum yum

mari_d
Juicer
on: August 30, 2013, 01:15

Hi Guys, Joining late too. Started on Tuesday and goal to lose 50 lbs. Use to do water only fasts years ago and this is much easier and more nutritious. I started adding green tea to my juices. I brew about a gallon every few days and keep in the fridge. Take 8 green tea bags and cover with boiling water. Let steep and when cool decant to another container squeezing out the bags and add water to dilute.

Right now the hubs is away and no pressure to eat. Expecting a little pressure when he returns. Hoping the group connection will help stay focused.

lisall
Juicer
on: August 30, 2013, 12:57

mari- Yay for starting 😀
I can't imagine doing just a water fast. Seems like all of the stereotypes of a fast would apply. Groggy, tired, no energy, etc etc.
Thank goodness for modern technology hehe

So Day 5 today. No juicing today. Already made the decision to eat food today and try not to feel so guilty when I do LOL.
I'm not about to go stuff my face with bad stuff though. Don't want to set myself back all of the progress I've made so far.
Weighed in this morning at 209.6. WOO! That was before first bathroom trip too so could've been a little less than that, but I'll take 209.6 😀
So yeah, food today and then juice tomorrow and on Sunday I'm going to start juicing during the day and eating a healthy dinner. I think I'm going to continue doing just juice every other day too to help keep the weight coming off. We'll see how things go and I'll adjust accordingly.
Juicing these last 4 days has really opened my eyes to the food choices I was making.

Anyway, enough of my blabbering. 4 full days of fasting and I've lost a little over 6lbs! That is damn impressive if I do say so myself *nodnod*

Maggie
Juicer
on: August 31, 2013, 17:52

Hey lisall - 6 lbs in 4 days is great!!! I weighed after day one and had lost 3 - I would love to think 3 lbs a day was going to continue, but I doubt it. I have been weighing on a dr's office type scale at the gym at my office so I don't want to weigh again until Monday....but I may test my home scales as well - I just assumed the one at work would be more accurate.

Interested to hear how eating one day went - although I really feel the urge leaving now on day 3. I agree with you on the habit thing - I have caught myself in the nick of time reaching for something to chew - I can't believe how instinctive it is! Needless to say - I have enjoyed a lot of sugar free gum for the last 3 days lol

lisall
Juicer
on: September 2, 2013, 19:04

Maggie- LOL The gum is a life saver! lol
Hmm, yeah I would probably trust the one at a doc's office more than one at home.
Good luck though! I'll be here to cheer ya on 😀

So eating was ok.... I must admit that I WAY overdid it on Friday and paid for it with lots of bloating that night and the next day.
I was too afraid to weigh myself so didn't go near the scale lol.
When they recommend to ease back in to food.. yeah, it's best to listen to people that have done it hehe.

I did eat dinner on Saturday too and also Sunday.
It's not the plan I had in mind, but I'm looking at it as more of a flexible HEALTHY plan instead of something super strict to follow.
I also weighed myself yesterday and not surprisingly was back up to 213. I'm not sweating it though b/c I know w/ the solids in my system and the bloating that the added (not much but it's there) salt brings will cause my weight to go back up some.... hopefully temporarily this time lol.
I weighed today though and it was back to 212 which I'm happy about 😀

While my juicing fast wasn't a long one, doing it really made me appreciate the healthy foods I was taking for granted and I'm back doing a primal based diet with renewed enthusiasm 😀

I am planning on days of nothing but juice too so I'm not done with it! Not by a long shot 😀

Maggie
Juicer
on: September 3, 2013, 21:28

lisall - way to go! Live and learn! I did have a salad for lunch on Day 4 and Day 5. It felt wonderful to "eat" instead of drink - but it did upset my tummy a bit! I am glad I did not go for the hot dog from the cart outside Lowes! I SWEAR I actually heard it call my name! I was actually jogging to the car to get away from the heavenly aroma of grilled onions and mustard! I have only had juice today, and plan on juice tonight and tomorrow, which completes my original 7 days. Got to weigh on the medical scale again this morning and I am down 8 lbs!
The weight loss feels great - but I agree with you - I FEEL different about the foods I am eating(drinking) and what I am willing to put in my body - it is a great feeling!

Pages: 1

Tags: , , , ,