twitter
facebook
pinterest
rss
Email: info@justonjuice.com | Login | Messages

Juicing Forum

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: 1 2
Author Topic: My first Juice Fast - 7 Days - Starting Sept. 5

vicki
Juicer
Re: My first Juice Fast - 7 Days - Starting Sept. 5
on: September 8, 2013, 17:29

Dear Becky and all: Hope it's okay to start with all of you, even though I'm starting today, sept 8 and not the 5th! As I type this, I'm in the process of drinking my 2nd juice (lunchtime-bruschetta tang recipe), and although it is going down okay, I liked the breakfast juice (morning glory recipe) a whole lot better...but I'll get through it.

I am 51 years old and about 75 pounds overweight. My last doctor appointment showed my cholesterol creeping up, blood pressure getting higher, blood sugar levels were borderline, etc. I have a lot of aches and pains, get a lot of headaches, am always exhausted, and have ulcerative colitis....the latter is why I'm starting my juice fast - I want to give my colon a much-needed rest!

I've tried and failed so many other diets, but nothing like this. I'm ridiculously addicted to sugar/carbs and really struggle to get through an hour without. And I don't know why, but for some reason I have a good feeling about this juice fast. Not that I think it's going to be a walk in the park, I don't know, maybe I'm just so ready for a change in my life!

My goal is to get my colitis under control, loose weight, gain energy, and when I go back to my doctor at the end of October, see some improvement in my numbers. My plan is to do at least the 7 day fast, but if I get through it without too much angst, I'll shoot for 14, then 21.

So...I'm hoping to come here for the good, the bad and the ugly. Eg., the recipes that work for people, the motivation you use to get through the tough times, how your body is physically reacting to the juicing, hints, tips, etc...and I'll do the same.

Good luck to all who have recently started...I'll try to check in daily, at least at first! Take care everyone! :)

Brian S
Juicer
on: September 8, 2013, 20:07

Welcome and good luck to everyone! Glad to have you all here.

So far today I drank 120oz of juices, which I see on the net is nearly a gallon. However, I'm starting to crave food now that it's coming to the evening. I'm resigning myself to the fact that my juice fast will have a jerky start but I'm going to keep plugging away till I get it right. I'm going to increase my celery and tomato intake. I think that'll help me with the salt food craving.

Let's keep moving towards our goal. Good luck all!

KiwiCC
Juicer
on: September 8, 2013, 20:09

Welcome aboard everyone! =) Its great to see such a good size group! Let's all support each other! =D

Becky6158
Juice Expert
Becky6158
on: September 8, 2013, 20:47

Welcome to Mrstlh, Chrysalis, terikiley and vicki!! This group has grown quite a bit since I was last online.

So, I have to report I broke my fast early. I made it 3 days. After much research and soul searching, for me I had to stop. I would like to share these links for everyone who would be interested in learning more about what you can expect during a Juice Fast. http://juicing-for-health.com/joy-of-juicing/juice-fasting/what-to-expect-when-juice-fast.html

Also from the same site a great deal of information came from here. http://juicing-for-health.com/joy-of-juicing/juice-fasting/healing-crisis.html

I want to share also, that I have no doubt a Juice Fast is what my body needs. But in my case, I ended up with a high fever, migraine headaches requiring medical intervention, as well as a few other things and was told that I can not safely continue. I want to share, my doctor is a true believer in juicing, and shared with me that he juices daily. This is rare according my doctor. Due to the medications I am on, and some of my personal health issues, he has recommended a slower approach. I sincerely don't want my experience to scare others away from this. I am continuing to Juice. I will be drinking 1 juice per day for a week, then will increase to 2 drinks per day for an additional week. After that time, I will be able to try again with his supervision.

I would love to stick around here, continue to learn from others, and grow into a healthier and stronger person from the inside out!

~ Becky

Brian S
Juicer
on: September 9, 2013, 14:24

So sorry to hear about the difficulties you ran in to, Becky. I think you're doing the right thing by slowly easing your way in. Good luck!

JustOnJuice
Administrator
JustOnJuice
on: September 9, 2013, 17:38

Becky, thanks for the follow up. I'm glad you were able to get taken care of. I'm glad to hear you are doing better now. It sounds like you have an exceptional doctor and I commend him for setting you up on a slower approach. I also want to say you did the right thing in seeing him. You listened to your body and did what was best.

Let me know how things work out for you on this new approach. Keep us updated.

"Willpower is essential to the accomplishment of anything worthwhile." Keep this in mind while on your fast!

I was 212 lbs before I started juicing, today I am 185 lbs and feel better than I did 10 years ago!

How To Juice Fast | JustOnJuice Blog

Brian S
Juicer
on: September 9, 2013, 23:14

Today I drank a cup of coffee in the morning, then I had juice all day, and at about 6pm I had fresh figs. No cooked food today. I'll try to substitute fruit for cooked food all this week and cut out the coffee. I think I'm shaping up nicely for my first full day of juice on Sat. Of course it'll be nice if somehow I can do it before then.

Where is everybody? :)

Chrysalis
Juicer
on: September 10, 2013, 01:31

I began juicing on Sept 1 but didn't cut out food. I did try to eat healthier though and I noticed a positive difference in how I felt. I completely fell of the wagon over the weekend and am now paying the price of feeling icky. This is day 1 of what will have to be a 7 day fast. I'll be traveling for 3 days next week and unable to juice. I plan to stay with salads while I'm gone, and then hopefully start longer term fast when I return.

vicki
Juicer
on: September 10, 2013, 12:09

Wow! What a crazy two juicy days it's been for me (started Sunday, the 8th). I can't say this is easy. I was extremely ill Sunday night and the better part of Monday. By last night things started to calm down. Symptoms: Wicked headache, nausea, vomiting (just once on Sunday night), chills then hot...it was pretty crazy. To be honest I felt like an addict coming off of drugs (at least how it's portrayed in the movies!). This morning I started to feel better, the headache isn't quiet as intense and the other symptoms are gone.

Becky - I'm so sorry you had such a rough time, but I'm glad you can still continue to at least incorporate juice into your diet. Please keep us posted on how you're doing!

Brian/Chrysalis - You are both smarter than I was. I jumped right in from 51 years of crappy, processed food to just juice...yikes...don't think I can recommend that to anyone. I hope your first days of just juice go smooth and easy!

Keep up the good work everyone...we shall overcome! :)

Brian S
Juicer
on: September 11, 2013, 00:36

Chrysalis, I know that icky feeling all too well after falling off the wagon from diets more times than I'd care to remember. Lol. I am noticing, like you, positive effects even though I drink a cup of coffee and eat a little food. Good luck on your 7 day fast.

Vicki, wow, that's some pretty scary stuff. I'm glad you're starting to feel better. After decades of eating processed foods I think it's best to slowly ease your way into a full fast. Keep plugging away. I'd like to take credit for being smart but I can't, lol. I tried to go 100% juice right away but I couldn't make it.

Today I had an 8oz cup of coffee(which I'm hoping to stop sooner than later but it's darn hard. Ha), juice , water, raw fruits and raw veggies. 2 days now without cooked food. I'm starting to detox but at the same time noticing an improvement in my health.

Lee Iacocca You've got to say, I think that if I keep working at this and want it badly enough I can have it. It's called perseverance.

Brian S
Juicer
on: September 11, 2013, 00:45

Admin, can you put a "Show new posts" link on the site so we can see new posts since our last visit. I know you have a Show new topics link but I think New Posts is more effective than New Topics since people reply to threads more often than they start new topics and New Posts cover New Topics. What do you think? Thank you very much.

JustOnJuice
Administrator
JustOnJuice
on: September 11, 2013, 18:12

Brian, I went ahead and added a "Show latest activity" button next to the new topics button. I was going to call it "Show new posts" but didn't want people to get confused between topics and posts. So, there it is! Enjoy!

Right now it's only showing 5 new posts. I'll get more into the code later and adjust that to 10 or so.

"Willpower is essential to the accomplishment of anything worthwhile." Keep this in mind while on your fast!

I was 212 lbs before I started juicing, today I am 185 lbs and feel better than I did 10 years ago!

Brian S
Juicer
on: September 11, 2013, 21:01

"Show latest activity" is perfect! Thank you!

Brian S
Juicer
on: September 12, 2013, 09:01

Yesterday, Wednesday, was more of the same. Lots of juice, lots of water, some raw fruits and veggies, and I managed to cut my coffee intake down to 4oz.

vicki
Juicer
on: September 12, 2013, 12:18

Brian - it looks like it's down to just you and me! I am starting day 5 of just juice. I have noticed one negative side affect - extremely dry mouth. I know I'm drinking plenty of water, so I'm fairly certain it can't be dehydration. I'll have to do some research about that, unless maybe you or someone else reading this post knows anything about it.

Today is the first day that I'm not going to strain my juice. I use a masticating juicer (Omega 8006) and it leaves quite a bit of pulp in the juice, so I've been straining it out. Since I'm winding down my just juice fast, I thought I'd start drinking it with the pulp and start getting used to "solids" again. I'm hoping that will help with some of the hunger. I've been so hungry at night that I'm not sleeping very well. I know the response should be to drink more juice, but quite frankly in the past 4 1/2 days I've gone through almost 150 bucks of produce (organic), so I just can't afford it! I'm drinking approximately 75 oz of juice per day.

Anyway, some good things to report...I do feel a bit more energetic, not the miracle energy I guess I was hoping for, but then again, you can't fix 51 years of bad in 4 days! My colitis issues (the whole reason I started this fast) have really calmed down, so I'm really happy about that. In 4 day's I've lost 5 pounds, which is amazing to me.

Way to go on the coffee Brian...pretty soon you'll be down to half an ounce!
:-) Take care and I'll try to check in tomorrow.

Vicki

Chrysalis
Juicer
on: September 12, 2013, 12:36

I'm still with ya. :) This is day 3 for me.

I hear you Vicki! I've been using organic as much as possible, and it's quite expensive. I'm going to have to use non-organic for all but the "dirty dozen plus." I'm only drinking about 75 oz of juice as well.

I have an Omega 350, which I Love, but I've discovered I can't handle using celery in it. The pulp is too nasty even though I cut it up before juicing. I'm not a real celery fan in the first place.

Brian, I've still had to take a Vivarin (equal to 2 cups of coffee) in the morning if I've got to get up early and function. I think easing into it was good for us. I hadn't intended to do it that way, but I was just weak (hungry) and unprepared to go full steam that first week.

I learned that I have high blood pressure on Monday, so now I have even more enthusiasm to stick to this.

fun2ww
Juicer
on: September 12, 2013, 14:16

Hello everyone, I just started Monday this week. Creeping up on the big 50 and it time to get serious about my heath. No real heath issues at this point other than I can not keep my vitamin D levels up. Hoping somehow this will be fixed with juicing if not well I will just have to keep taking the pills. YUG.
Weight loss so far has been 10.5 pounds which means I am 1/10 towards my goal. I am using this site for positive reinforcement as I don't get any in my home. Brownies and chips everywhere. Good luck to everyone. We can do this.

Becky6158
Juice Expert
Becky6158
on: September 12, 2013, 20:00

Hey there everyone! Donnie than you so much for you kind words! I wanted to update everyone on how I'm doing. To recap: I started a 7 day fast, and due to some health issue, it was recommended that I stop the fast and try a slower approach. So here's how I've been doing.

I have started by one day of no juice, ate raw foods and lots of protein rich foods. I had a little more energy and my headache finally went away. The next day I had one juice, raw foods and one small meal that included fish for protein. Since then I have been drinking 2 or more juices per day, ending with one small meal at the end of the day that includes a small portion of some sort of protein.

I feel amazing! I know it's not a fast, so I can't wait to see what a fast will do for my body. But I sleep through the night now. I have noticed some amazing changes such as, sinuses are clear, I have energy like a bunny :) , I have not had one asthma attack this week (for me this is a miracle), I don't think I've lost any weight but I feel lighter and I seem to think more clearly!

So this will continue through the weekend, then on Monday I have been cleared to go for a fast again. It will be a short fast, unless I keep feeling great and continue to get the all clear from my dear sweet doctor. Whom by the way is a huge advocate of juicing!

I've been playing with juices these last few days and found some really great tasting juices! I've put a few up in the recipes section, if you want to try any!

You all sound like you are doing amazing! Keep up the hard work, it's so worth it in the end! If I am seeing these amazing changes with simply adding a few juices per day, then I have found the miracle cure! I say that, then think... food is the medicine the body craves!

~ Much love to all of you!

JustOnJuice
Administrator
JustOnJuice
on: September 13, 2013, 02:25

That's great Becky! I'm glad you are giving it another go and under doctor supervision. Keep us posted on how things prevail. It's great that you have a doctor that believes in the healing abilities of juicing. Keep at it and I wish you the best of luck moving forward with your plan. It sounds really great and I'm happy that you are already feeling amazing!

Brian S
Juicer
on: September 15, 2013, 23:49

Vicki, it's great that you're seeing improvement with you're health issues. Keep doing what you're doing.

Chrysalis, Sorry to hear about your high BP. As you said, all the more reason to stick to this.

Fun2ww, Welcome. It's very hard to do this when there's food all around. Drinking a lot of juice to stay full, I would think, might help. Wish you all the best.

Becky, I'm glad you're feeling great and ready to go again. Good luck.

I'm still doing juice and raw fruits/greens. I haven't had any coffee for two days but I'm not confident enough to say I'm done with it. I'm working on it though. My sinuses have improved a lot and I'm staying the course until it's totally cleared and I can breathe fully again.

I hope we all find the strength to go the distance. Good luck.

Gary
Juice Expert
Gary
on: October 17, 2013, 09:31

Mrstlh: I have a headache within a few minutes of having a green juice. More greens = bigger headache and less greens = smaller headache.
I only juice ocassionally and have never attempted a fast but feel certain that the headaches would reduce after a while.
Maybe Donnie chirp in with better info than this at some point.
Good luck.
Gary.

Pages: 1 2

Tags: , , , ,