twitter
facebook
pinterest
rss
Email: info@justonjuice.com | Login | Messages

Juicing Forum

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: 1
Author Topic: New here....Which juicer should I get?

DaveH
Juicer
New here....Which juicer should I get?
on: September 25, 2013, 23:17

Hi, I'm new to this forum and would like a little advice. I'm overweight, blood pressure going up, cholesterol going up, and I need to get healthy. My wife has been juicing some using a Breville. She's wants to do more of it but quite honestly we avoid it sometimes because of the clean-up. We're really interested in getting a Vitamix. I just tried to get on their site and had problems, that's why I'm here. I see there is different models of the Vitamix...which one should I get? There will be 4 of us in the house using it. We want to use it for juicing and making smoothies and sometimes as a blender. By the way, my wife got interested in it after having breast cancer. She's 3 years cancer free now.

Kurokujira-
Kurokujikiri
Juicer
Kurokujira Kurokujikiri
Re: New here....Which juicer should I get?
on: September 25, 2013, 23:53

Hi DaveH, welcome to juicing! I'm new to juicing myself but I'm already sure that juicing will improve your health.

Please consider upgrading from your wife's juicer if you already know that you will be avoiding it because of the clean-up. I'm guessing that your wife's juicer is a Centrifugal Juicer, which is a good start, but the newer kinds of Cold-Press Juicers are supposed to retain a lot more of the Vitamins, Phytonutrients and Enzymes intact. So, maybe take a look at some different Cold-Press Juicers instead? I got an Oscar juicer myself, but I'm sure that there are many other brands out there as well. By the way, the Vitamix (as far as I'm aware) isn't a juicer, but a blender. There is a difference, in that blenders leave the indigestible fibre in, whereas juicers take the indigestible fibres out (although the soluble fibres are still left in), and some of the benefits of juicing come from the juice being easy to digest and absorb, and allowing your gut a much needed rest. Blenders are also good for making smoothies, etc, as part of a healthy diet, but for a Juice Fast, you need a Juicer.

Hope this helps,
KK

DaveH
Juicer
on: September 26, 2013, 11:03

Thanks KK. Quite honestly I'm not a big fan of fruits and vegetables. I figured juicing would be a good way to get the nutrients I need. I don't know that I really want to do a juice fast, just substitute a juice for a snack or meal once a day.

That is some information I had not heard before about juicing. I thought all fiber was good for you...not true?? I haven't seen a cold-press juicer before but I'll look it up.

Kurokujira-
Kurokujikiri
Juicer
Kurokujira Kurokujikiri
on: September 26, 2013, 12:08

Quote from DaveH on September 26, 2013, 11:03
I thought all fiber was good for you...not true??

Juicing is a really easy way of eating a lot more vegetables and fruits. This is a good first step towards improving your health. It is also how many people first get into juicing, as a way of supplementing our normal meals. It is also a good way to prepare ourselves for a Juice Fast, which may be the next step in your Juicing journey.

When we are talking about juicing as a way to add a lot more vegetables and fruits to our everyday diet, then you are right that both soluble and insoluble fibre are good for you.

However, if you were to go on a Juice Fast for however many number of days, part of the theory is to eliminate as much of the bulk from your food as possible, so that your gut can rest, get cleansed and detoxify, without having to do the hard work of having to try to digest the insoluble, indigestible fibre within your food, and so, by cleansing your gut out properly, the theory is that your gut is then a lot more able to absorb all the vitamins, phytonutrients and enzymes from the juice you are drinking with the most efficiency. However, if you are not planning on doing a Juice Fast for resting, cleansing and detoxifying your system, then this consideration may not be as important for you.

(Personally, after my recent extremely painful experience towards the end of the detoxification phase of my 3 Day Juice Fast, I am convinced that this process of detoxification is real and that my pain came from the toxins being released into my body, as well as the withdrawal effects I was getting from not feeding the addiction I had to whatever chemicals I had been putting into my body for far too long, via eating too much junk food. I am now convinced that I will really need at least a few more Juice Fasts before my body is completely cleansed of this massive junk food addiction!)

Donnie-
Toivola
Administrator
Donnie Toivola
on: September 26, 2013, 16:15

Some good information here. Dave, make sure you get a juicer and not a blender. You can't use a blender for a juice fast. It just doesn't work. I know clean up can be a pain at times but it's all worth it for good health. You can make a few juices at a time and keep them for later to cut down on the amount of time you spend cleaning it.

JoeWee
Juicer
JoeWee
on: September 27, 2013, 05:20

Donnie, Im ready to purchase a Juicer and don't know which of the Beville's to get, what are your thoughts?

JustOnJuice
Administrator
JustOnJuice
on: September 27, 2013, 16:35

Joe, I'd have to say if your set on a Breville then go for this one on amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003R28HWQ/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B003R28HWQ&linkCode=as2&tag=jus033-20

I have this one and it's really good! I gave it to my mother to use on her juice fast and she loves it! I'm thinking of getting another one as it's very simple to use, works great, and is very easy to clean. The quality of the juice is amazing too. I'm sure you will absolutely love this Breville Joe!

"Willpower is essential to the accomplishment of anything worthwhile." Keep this in mind while on your fast!

I was 212 lbs before I started juicing, today I am 185 lbs and feel better than I did 10 years ago!

How To Juice Fast | JustOnJuice Blog

Juicing Lady
Juicer
Juicing Lady
on: October 8, 2013, 16:22

I went from a centrifugal juicer which was cheap, inefficient, hard to clean & noisy to an Omega J8004 Masticating Juicer. The Omega costs more, but not as much as a cold press juicer. It's efficient with a fairly dry pulp, super quiet and super easy to clean. Absolutely love it!

I can start prepping veggies to cleanup in under 10 minutes and do this easily 3x a day. I've ground wheat for baking and can grind coffee beans. It will also extrude Pasta, but I haven't got there yet. I'm also creating recipes for using the pulp with some delicious results so far, & working on a recipe book.

Currently creating videos on prepping fruits, juicing and more. I'd welcome input & inspiration from others on what they would like to see.

Wishing everyone happy juicing, it's such a healthy lifestyle.

april_crawfor-
d
Juicer
april_crawford
on: October 3, 2014, 14:01

Hi Dave,

As many others have already mentioned, depending on what type of juice you prefer, it is important that you understand the differences between juicers and get the right type of juicer.

There are basically three types of juicers:
Centrifugal Juicers
Masticating Juicers
Performance Blenders

Centrifugal Juicers are high speed juicers. They grate fruits and vegetables and spin at high speed to separate the juice from the pulp. They produce very dry pulp (so, more juice) – but are not that great with leafy greens and grass.

Masticating Juicers are slow juicers that crush and grind the ingredients and produce juice that is a bit more pulpy – i.e. smoother and thicker. They can work with all types of fruits and vegetables, including leafy greens and grass (wheatgrass).

Performance Blenders blend pretty much anything with the help of blades at the bottom of the bowl. They can work with fruits, vegetables, grass, leafy greens and even frozen ingredients. Pulp is not removed and you get a thick, smoothie-like beverage.

The Best Juicer (http://whatrocksandwhatsucks.com/best-juicer-machine/) for you will be the one will best suit your needs. Do not get a blender. If you like a leaner, pulp-free juice, then I would go with a good Centrifugal one. It seems to be more popular since they tend to take most of the pulp out. If you get the Breville Compact Juice Fountain (On Amazon for 79 Bucks : http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000MDHH06/?tag=jus033-20 ) , it will juice pretty much everything. I tried it with leafy spinach and wheatgrass and it worked just fine. And if you are like me, you can use the pulp in other recipes as well.

Goodluck.

danielpeng
Juicer
on: December 3, 2014, 03:19

Actually, I am on the opposite side. I am trying to gain some weight.

Trying to get rid of citric acid drinks.

zeekbenshaya
Juicer
on: December 9, 2014, 20:20

Hey Dave,
Go to http://www.vipjuicers.com for discounted juicers.
Go for a masticating juicer. Either an Omega, Hurom, or the Lexen Electric.

Pages: 1

Tags: , , , ,