twitter
facebook
pinterest
rss
Email: info@justonjuice.com | Login | Messages

Juicing Forum

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: 1
Author Topic: Green Slushy?

dawnoldham
Juicer
Green Slushy?
on: November 30, 2013, 16:32

Hi all,
I'm very new to juicing and despite trying many recipes I haven't found any that I find even remotely appetizing. In fact, I usually find myself gulping them down while holding my breath. Unfortunately I have a sweet tooth but I really don't want to add lots of fruit or sweet veg to my juices as I understand that sweet things will give me a massive glucose spike which I don't want.

Also, I understand that juice should be consumed on an empty stomach so obviously morning is ideal, however being a busy mum of 3 year old twins I'm usually in a rush and don't always have a spare 20 mins to prepare fresh juice and wash the juicer. I'm quite often out the house in the day too so preparing it for lunch is also out of the question.

I've read up on storing juice and it seems that the longer it's left the less nutritious it becomes so I came up with the idea of freezing the juice in ice cube trays and then turning it into a slushy when I want to drink it. I'll explain exactly how I do it but just wanted someone with more knowledge than me to tell me if they think this method is ok or if I'm destroying the juice by freezing it?

Method:
1. Make huge batch of juice with wide range of nutritious vegetables (no fruit).
2. Freeze in ice cube trays
3. When ready to drink, smash ice cubes up into a 'slush' and pour into glass
4. Add about 3-4 oz of apple juice*** Just enough to make it drinkable.
5. Drink immediately

***Either home juiced apples sealed in a jar but stored for 1-2 days or store bought apple juice (I know this is pasteurised but I consider the apple juice a 'carrier' for the vegetable juice)

For me the pros are obvious:
1. I can't taste the vegetables because they're frozen
2. Convenience
3. I save money on washing water (I'm on a water meter)& electric
4. The kids like it too
5. All of the veg is frozen shortly after I buy it so it's frozen while its still fresh.
6. I have to chew the ice producing saliva which aids digestion.
7. Using this method I will drink it every day

Can anyone tell me if there are any cons?????

Many thanks in advance and sorry for the long post - I didn't want to leave anything out!

x

andy4879
Re: Green Slushy?
on: December 1, 2013, 16:18

hey dawn,

all you have proposed is not congruent with a real juice fast. you can't add juice from the store and if you can't tolerate the vegetable juices, you need to try and just eat fruits and veges instead of juicing them. freezing it will also make it lose it's nutrients and you don't have to have it on an empty stomach. you can have juice whenever you want it. i tweaked my mean green juice with lemon and lime and it helped it. i use half a lemon and half a lime and it tastes much better but if you can't tolerate it, your other methods won't help you. you can't have any outside juices or drinks. hope this helps,andy

andy4879
on: December 1, 2013, 16:20

i am a diabetic and the mean green calls for 1 granny smith apple and the lemon and lime so you are supposed to have fruits with your drinks and they won't cause a sugar spike unless you drink an only fruit juice and i have done this for 80 days as a diabetic and had no problems.

dawnoldham
Juicer
on: December 1, 2013, 21:46

Hi, thanks for your replies.

Firstly, I am not doing a juice fast. I am merely juicing as an alternative to taking nutritional supplements as I suffer from hemiplegic migraines and it has been recommended by others suffering from migraines. I am doing it on top of eating my regular diet.

Secondly, I know that when using store apple juice, the apple juice itself if nutritionally useless. I merely meant that if the alternative is to have no veg juice at all, then using a little store juice to wash the veg juice down with as I'm running out the house was better than nothing. Am i wrong?

I read here that juicing should be only be done on an empty stomach...
http://foodbabe.com/2013/08/05/juicing-mistakes/
I've also seen the same advice on many other websites. Is this wrong?

Also, you say freezing does destroy the nutrient content but by how much? More than cooking the vegetables? Does that also mean that all veg that you buy already frozen is nutritionally useless?

Thanks

andy4879
on: December 1, 2013, 22:05

sorry,

most people on here are doing fasts. if you are doing this to help your medical condition, the only way to benefit is to just juice. when you add any other things, it counter acts the fresh made juice's healing power. i did it for 80 days and my mental health is better and my physical health couldn't be better. i got off of my blood pressure and cholesterol and i lost 70 pounds. everyone here drinks their juice when they are hungry(or need nutrients). we juice 4-6 times a day so it is only on an empty stomach in the morning.

frozen vegetables are good for you because they are immediately flash frozen at the peak or ripeness. i eat frozen fruits instead of fresh. frozen is good but when you d-thaw it, you juice it asap and it keeps most of the nutrients. if you don't need juicing for detoxing,weight loss,you can use just fruit.

dawnoldham
Juicer
on: December 1, 2013, 22:17

I think when it says on an empty stomach it means in a stomach containing no fiber (from vegetables or other foods). Therefore i guess if you drink only juice your stomach is permanently fiber free. Probably slightly different if you just had a couple of slices of toast
:)

Pages: 1

Tags: , , , ,