twitter
facebook
pinterest
rss
Email: info@justonjuice.com | Login | Messages

Juicing Forum

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: 1 2
Author Topic: Day 7-First Time Juicer (starting a second fast)

jmacd013
Juicer
Day 7-First Time Juicer (starting a second fast)
on: August 17, 2013, 09:01

Hello! I received a juicer several months ago as a gift, but until seeing a trailer for "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead", I never had any intentions of using it. Having just turned 35 a couple of days ago and realizing my weight has been slowly climbing over the last two years to a hearty 215, I thought I would give this a go.

Yesterday was a bit of a binge day for me. While I shopped for the produce required for the first week, I also purchased a couple of my favorite processed food. To say the least, I enjoyed some comfort foods the night before starting my juice fast. Probably not the best way to start!

I live in Germany so its just about lunch time on Day 1. This morning I started with half a lemon and 12 ounces of warm water followed by the Morning Glory juice. I wasn't able to find any kale, so I substituted the kale with spinach. It made a bit more juice than I had anticipated, which I attribute to the extremely large cucumbers they have here. For lunch, I will try the Mean Green followed by the Sunset Passion for dinner. So far so good. Hopefully this forum will keep me motivated since nobody else in my house has the need or desire to join me in this venture.

Wish me luck!

jmacd013
Juicer
Re: Day 1-First Timer
on: August 17, 2013, 15:41

Day 1-

Started the day with juicing ½ a lemon and mixing it with warm water then began preparing ingredients for breakfast.

Breakfast: Morning Glory-Wasn’t bad, but tasted mostly of cucumber.

Lunch: Mean Green-Celery taste was a bit overwhelming and I found it very difficult to finish all 22-23 ounces. If I make this again, I will cut the recipe in half. Ultimately, I am very full.

Dinner: Decided to experiment for dinner. Was a little tired of the greens already and in the mood for some Italian. Mixed 2 carrots, 2 tomatoes, one clove of garlic, and three bell peppers (yellow, green, and red). The juice was much lighter than the previous ones and didn't taste that bad. Would have been better with some oregano.

Total Intake: 3 Apples, 2/3rds of a Lemon, 1 cup of Blueberries, 2 cups of Grapes, 2 Cucumbers, 4 Celery Stalks, 6 bunches of Spinach, 2” Ginger, 2 Carrots, 2 Tomatoes, 3 Bell Peppers, and one clove of Garlic.

All in all it was a good day. I started to feel a bit tired around mid-afternoon, but after a short break from activity, I felt much better. Around 5pm, I started to crave food since I could smell all of my neighbor’s meals being cooked. However, after 22 ounces of juice for dinner, I am once again very full. We will see how tomorrow goes.

CarolLee
Juicer
CarolLee
on: August 17, 2013, 22:11

Hello J
I am on day 5 and want to say that I hated Day 2. The thought of juice all day was not at all appealing but Day 3 was fine.

I drink a lot of water between juices. I found garlic was not going to work for me so I eliminated that. I actually like the veggie drinks now. I have made a fruit drink that was just for enjoyment every now and then and add Romaine or spinach to them to make them healthier.

Down 6 lbs very quickly. Still have 2 days to go until my 7 day commitment to myself on this juice fast is done. Then I will try to stick to juicing and plant based eating.

It has made me feel very calm and peaceful.

I LOVE to eat...I have been cooking and baking for my husband while doing this fast and it has not bothered me at all...AFTER day 2!!! LOL

Good luck with your journey! :)
carol

JustOnJuice
Administrator
JustOnJuice
on: August 18, 2013, 02:28

Jmacd, welcome to JOJ and congrats on starting your juice fast. You're off to a fantastic start. It's great that you are starting to experiment with your juices. To me, experimenting kept it interesting and I was always excited to see what new creations I could come up with. Keep me posted on your status. I'm always here if you have questions.

"Willpower is essential to the accomplishment of anything worthwhile." Keep this in mind while on your fast!

I was 212 lbs before I started juicing, today I am 185 lbs and feel better than I did 10 years ago!

How To Juice Fast | JustOnJuice Blog

jmacd013
Juicer
Re: Day 2-First Timer
on: August 18, 2013, 05:55

Hello Carol, thank you for your comments. Cooking has definitely been a challenge. My wife is away for the weekend so I’ve been preparing all of the meals for my daughter (6 y/o). She has been great in regards to helping me with making the juice and will even try them if they don’t have spinach in them, but the smell of her meals definitely gets to me. Your comment about day two has me a bit worried, but so far so good.

I may continue to experiment since I am starting to identify some flavors I like more than others. I may also juice half a melon between breakfast and lunch for a quick energy boost.

Last night (Day 1) around 7pm I started to get a headache, which lasted till I went to bed and also began to crave a snack. The later was not a surprise as it is normal for me to snack while watching TV at night. This is a habit I am hoping to break over the coming week. The good news is, I weighed in at 210.8 this morning, 4.8 pounds lower than I started yesterday.

CarolLee
Juicer
CarolLee
on: August 18, 2013, 11:02

Great going!
Donnie is right about the variety. I have learned that as I am going along. I do better with Romaine and Spinach than other greens. Although Cucumber is good too. The Kale was a bit much for me...but I will eat it when cooked.

Also I was SO appreciative of having the Shopping List and Guidelines of this site...it is the best resource.
:) It was impossible for me to gauge what I would need to buy without it. I added Pineapple and melon to the list.

Today starts Day 6 for me. I didn't mean to scare you about Day 2....I had read Day 3 was the tough one. Not for me...so we are all different. I did not get headaches at all. The extra water intake between juices really makes a difference with that. Keep hydrated.

Lifting my cup of hot water, lemon and ginger to you...have a great day!
Carol

jmacd013
Juicer
on: August 18, 2013, 16:19

Thanks Carol! I'm curious about the results of other people my approximate age and weight. My goal weight is somewhere around 185, so 30 pounds under my starting weight. I've read various results for people who complete anywhere between 14-60 day fasts, but I haven't found anyone of similar age, height, and weight. Hopefully I can get down to the 190s in the next week or two. Anyway, here is my breakdown for today:

Day 2-

Weight: 210.8 (-4.8 lbs.)

Once again, I started with a quick glass of water with lemon. Overall, I felt pretty good. Woke up without a headache and was surprised at my near five pound weight loss in a day.

Breakfast: Jolt Juice-Similar to the Morning Glory, it wasn’t bad but had an overpowering flavor of cucumber. This time, I cut the cucumber in half.

-Around 10:00 I needed a little boost so I juiced up half a melon with a hand full of fresh strawberries and blueberries. It was just what I needed. My daughter calls it the Mellon Berry.

Lunch: Mean Green for lunch, using only half a cucumber.

Dinner: For dinner I decided to try Joe Cross’s recipe for the Mean Green. Excellent!

-Another decent day. No headaches so far, but it’s still early (6pm). I’m still having cravings for solid food especially when I see others eating. Of course, my daughter was watching Sesame Street this morning and it seemed to be a special all about food. I still haven’t decided how long I will do this for. My work requires that I maintain a certain level of fitness. As long as the juice fast does not get in the way with my ability to conduct regular physical training, I should be able to continue.

JustOnJuice
Administrator
JustOnJuice
on: August 18, 2013, 17:35

Carol, it sounds like you're having a great juice fast. Keep doing what you're doing! You're right though, variety is great and it really helps to try out different ingredients throughout your fast.

Jmacd, those cravings will get easier the longer you continue to fast. Congrats on day 2, you're doing really good!

"Willpower is essential to the accomplishment of anything worthwhile." Keep this in mind while on your fast!

I was 212 lbs before I started juicing, today I am 185 lbs and feel better than I did 10 years ago!

jmacd013
Juicer
Re: Day 3-First Time Juicer
on: August 19, 2013, 05:33

No headaches last night and today (Day 3) I weighed in at 207.6 for a total loss of 8 pounds so far!

Today will be my first day juicing on the go. I made a Mean Green for the road, which I will have for lunch during a four hour round trip I have to take to the airport. Realized this morning I will have to buy some sports cups to keep the juice cold for such occasions.

Only complaint I have so far is the mess juicing can make. I use a Big Boss Juicer, which on occasion will spit out some of the pulp. Already ruined one of my favorite shirts. Cleaning the juicer isn't so bad, just the mess around it.

Carol,

How long do you plan on fasting? I agree, the grocery list was a big help, but I'm really enjoying trying different recipes. At least I have a good supply to start with. I've been thinking about trying the Romaine based off your post; however, was curious how it paired up with spinach in regards to nutrients? I can't find kale, so spinach has been my base for most recipes.

JustOnJuice
Administrator
JustOnJuice
Re: Day 3-First Time Juicer
on: August 19, 2013, 16:01

Jmacd, congrats on day 3 and 8 pounds lost so far! My first few times juicing was a mess also. But once you get into a routine, things run really smooth. I've got it down to under 10 minutes from the time I prepare my ingredients to the time I drink my juice including all cleaning. You'll get into your own routine and things will flow smoothly.

jmacd013
Juicer
Re: Day 4-First Time Juicer
on: August 20, 2013, 14:15

Another good start to the day. I am down to 205.4 for a total loss of 10.2 pounds. I’m continuing to experiment with the juices, but am sticking with greens for lunch and dinner. Today has been somewhat rough. This was the first day during the fast that I actually worked out and my first day back to work. I did about 35 minutes of cardio this morning before my first juice. I’ve felt fine for the most part; however, my energy level since lunch has been very low. Tomorrow I may bring a fruit juice to work with me to drink between lunch and dinner.

Thank you both for keeping me motivated!

John

JustOnJuice
Administrator
JustOnJuice
on: August 20, 2013, 16:47

Jmacd, congrats on 10 pounds lost. If your feeling a little low on energy, try making a ginger shot to have between juices. It consists of:

1 Golden Delicious Apple
1-2 Inches of Ginger
1/4 Lemon Peeled

Just slam it back as it will be a little harsh but well worth it. This should give you some energy. Enjoy!

jmacd013
Juicer
on: August 20, 2013, 17:11

Thanks, I will give it a try.

PattiRob
Juice Professional
on: August 20, 2013, 18:37

Hi jmacd, your Mellon Berry sounds really good! I'm putting melons and berries on my next grocery list. Just wanted to let you know that my husband and I have been juice fasting for 3 weeks and he goes to the gym 4 to 5 times per week. He works out fairly strenuouly at least 3 times and the extra days he does a little cardio and then enjoys the sauna. We're quite a bit older than you, mid-50's. Like Carol, I also put Romaine in our drinks as well as spinach. I was hesitant to try Romaine because I hated the taste of it in a smoothie. But juicing it is very different. I don't use much kale because it seems so dry and it's hard to get much juice out if it. Sounds like you're doing great!

jmacd013
Juicer
on: August 21, 2013, 15:35

Thanks Patti, I picked up some romaine today.

Day 4 wasn't to bad. I'm not as out of it as I was yesterday. This morning I weighed in at 204.4, a one pound drop from yesterday. My skin has been dealing a bit oily the past two days, which is odd since I feel somewhat dehydrated even though I'm consuming a lot of water with the juice. The good news is I now have a juice partner. My wife decided to start today!

PattiRob
Juice Professional
Re: Day 5-First Time Juicer
on: August 21, 2013, 23:19

Yay...I'm glad your wife is juicing with you. It's so much easier when you do it together! The oily skin is probably just a sign of detox.

JustOnJuice
Administrator
JustOnJuice
Re: Day 5-First Time Juicer
on: August 22, 2013, 15:50

The oily skin is just a symptom of detox. Nothing to worry about. Just make sure you are drinking plenty of water and staying hydrated. Too much spinach can actually cause dehydration so it's important you keep a healthy amount of water flowing through your body.

That's great that your wife is joining you. It's always easier when you have a partner to juice with!

I'm here if anyone has any questions. Have a fantastic day everyone!

jmacd013
Juicer
Re: Day 7-First Time Juicer
on: August 23, 2013, 06:51

I'm on day seven now and have lost a total of 13.8 pounds so far, just about half way to my goal of 185! I've been reading multiple blogs, forums, and web pages, which indicate I should increase the amount of juice I am drinking each day from 3 to 4 16-20 ounce drinks. Is this really necessary?

I've decided to keep going for now. Once I break my fast, I plan on continuing with the juice for at least one to two meals a day.

jmacd013
Juicer
on: August 23, 2013, 11:48

After reading a bit about breaking a fast, I've decided to start the process tomorrow. The plan is to consume juice for both breakfast and lunch. I will eat an apple with each meal and have some Amy's organic black bean vegetable soup for dinner. Any suggestions for day two?

JustOnJuice
Administrator
JustOnJuice
on: August 24, 2013, 20:29

JMac, congrats on your weight loss so far! You're doing really great! As far as how many juices to drink just listen to your body. No need to force more juice down you if your body is happy with 3 juices. Have a juice when you are hungry.

Have a juice before each meal and it will help you with portion control and no overeating. You're doing great, just continue to listen to your body and do whats best for you Jmac! I'm always here if you have questions.

jmacd013
Juicer
on: September 2, 2013, 19:35

So after a week off of my fast, I have decided to start again. During the past week I have primarily stuck with two juices a day, breakfast and lunch, with normal meals at dinner. I've cut back on the amount of meat I consume, but still managed to gain a few pounds back. I attribute this mostly to the foods and beverages I consumed the night before I weighed in for this fast.

My parents have now purchased a juicer and as of yesterday, all three of us started to fast. I am working towards my new goal of 185 lbs, which I hope to make within two weeks. Wish us luck!

A quick note about the juicer I have, The Big Boss Juicer. It works well, but tends to spit out pulp all over the place. I hope to purchase a better juicer soon and highly recommend people stay away from this one. It's already cost me several shirts and I usually spend more time cleaning up the mess then prepping the produce.

PattiRob
Juice Professional
Re: Day 7-First Time Juicer (starting a second fast)
on: September 2, 2013, 23:33

Welcome back jmac! Congrats on getting your parents on board. My really good friend and my mom have both begun juicing after seeing the results that my husband and I are getting. Sorry about your messy juicer. Hopefully you can get something that works better for you soon!

jmacd013
Juicer
on: September 3, 2013, 12:11

Thanks Patti. Feels great to be juicing again. As of today, I am below 200 lbs! Are you still going on your fast?

JustOnJuice
Administrator
JustOnJuice
on: September 3, 2013, 15:44

Congrats on getting below 200 lbs Jmac!

PattiRob
Juice Professional
on: September 3, 2013, 23:13

Jmac, I was on a total juice fast for 28 days. Since then, I've added a mug of homemade vegetable soup at dinner time. It tastes wonderful, but also has slowed down my weight loss. I gained a few pounds back, but then lost them fairly easily. Now that I'm back at my lowest weight, I'm going to see how my weight loss goes with eating the soup. If it goes too slow, I'll go back to fasting....now that I know how easy it is and how good it feels!

Pages: 1 2

Tags: , , , ,